Saturday, December 09, 2006

"Letters from a Skeptic" -by Gregory & Edward Boyd

Last night, at midnight to be exact, My friend Donny showed up to my door with a brand new hard copy of a book called "Letters from a Skeptic". This book was purchased for me, and mailed to Donny to bring to me. With the thought in mind that someone that I have never met took the time and money to purchase this book and mail it out just for me was pretty flattering.
Because of this effort that was put fourth by a total stranger, I dove in to this book with the determination to read the entire book weather or not I believe any of it's content, or weather or not I feel that it is a total waste of words.
Nearly three hours later.. I had to put the book down knowing that I had to go to work the next day (today). I had already read half of the book. I'm devouring this book like candy, I can't get enough of it. I can't get over the fact that the very same questions that Edward Boyd has written are the exact questions that I had asked earlier in my blog. And the majority of the answers that were given by his son Gregory Boyd are satisfactory to me. I have to work for the next four days, so I won't have time to finish it until Wednesday, but I'm looking forward to continue reading where I had left off.
I take pride in the fact that I call it as I see it. If I didn't care too much for this book then I would have not hesitated in saying so. I believe that honesty is a virtue, even to non believers. This book is like an early Christmas present. I can't say enough how much I'm getting out of it.
I want to thank 'John Smulo' for sending it to me.
I highly recommend this book to people as myself that are agnostic. You will get logical answers to your questions. I will keep you posted on my final thoughts on this book when I finish it. So far, at half way point, it is fantastic.
Here is a fact that you will find hard to believe. Even though I'm a good reader, I have only read 2 books in my entire life. I read web pages, I read magazines, but I can only read things that I'm strongly interested in or my eyes keep following along with the words and my mind changes channels without even notifying me. Next thing I know, I'm half way down the page and have no clue even as to where I had left off.
I do not have that problem with this book due to my strong interest in it's content.
Thanks again John for sending this book to a total stranger.

I may have some more questions at the end of this book, I'll have to wait and see.

John

11 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John,

I'm thrilled that you've got something out of the book. It's one of my favorites, and I always give it out to people who have great questions about Christianity as you have.

One of the things that I like most about this book is that the "agenda" of what's talked about is set by an intelligent skeptic, rather than a Christian.

Hope you enjoy the rest. And as I've said in the past, if you ever want to catch up in person or via email or whatever to talk more about this stuff let me know. I'm not that far away from you.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

John,

I praise you for your openness, your inquisitiveness, and the honesty with which you relate your eagerness to invest your time reading this book in order to seek answers to the questions you have.

I pray that you find the answers and accept them, and I pray that the experience leads you to accept Jesus Christ into your heart and acknowledge him as your Lord and Savior.

- David

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger brad said...

john,

never read the book before but i've read some of greg boyd's blog and articles on his website. i've found them to be extremely intelligent, coherent, logical, and even inspiring.

i'll have to check out this book. thanks for the recommendation.

brad

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This makes my elbow itch!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger John & Jennifer said...

"This makes my elbow itch!"

Do not hesitate to scratch it on my account. Ice cream has no bones!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

John,

Actually, on "Iron Chef," ice cream sometimes does have bones—fish bones. Yikes!

- David

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So have you finished the book? I am interested in hearing your final thoughts.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger MK said...

Hi John,

What an awesome testimony! I'm a friend of Greg's and I also work with him at Christus Victor Ministries. I'm glad you've found "Letters" to be an inspiring read.

Keep on keepin' on!

Blessings,
Marcia Erickson
www.christusvictorministries.org

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger John & Jennifer said...

Chantel,

I'm very close to finishing this book, I've been pretty busy in the last week. I did pick the book up a few nights ago and nearly finished it. I do not want to comment on it until I have finished reading it.
I ran in to a problem while reading it that I may talk about in my next blog entry.
It's a good thing that I'm agnostic because if otherwise then I would swear that I'm under attack or something. I may talk about that later on.
Anyway, It's after 2:30 in the morning and I'm pretty tired, but I'm off to the gym. Dedication!

Thanks for posting,

John

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John, I recommend Greg Boyd's new book called "The Jesus Legend: A Case for the Historical Reliability of the Synoptic Jesus Tradition", which he co-authored with Paul Eddy. It was published last September (2007).

Go to http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Legend-Historical-Reliability-Tradition/dp/0801031141

There is a layman version of this book called "Lord or Legend", but i think you should stay away from it. It leaves out too many details in an attempt to be brief.

- Pat

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home